May 8, 2009

There's No Place Like Home

It's 39.7 degree Celsius (103.4 degree F) in my kitchen today. The humidity is too high that I sweat a bucket. It feels like in a sauna! Enough reason to murmur and ruin my mood to cook dinner for family and my 3 guests. But because I made a commitment to think of the gifts I already have, I consciously shifted my perspective from wishing to have an air-conditioned kitchen and from blaming humanity of the global warming to focusing on the blessings that surround me at the moment. It is hard for me to concentrate when I struggle physically. How come it is always a lot easier to spontaneously react than to decide how to respond in a situation? I remember hearing someone teach that there are only two roads to go in every trial (big or small): "to joy or to despair, you choose". For a tropic person like me, the heat should not be a big deal of a trial but today there's an opportunity to learn how to consciously make an effort to choose which road to take. And I did!


As I was preparing the ingredients for my menu (ground beef, mongo beans, water cabbage, squash, onions, ginger, garlic, and coconut milk), a feeling of "home" crept into me that being thankful suddenly became an effortless task. Such an assuring feeling that washed away complaints. Such a refreshing thought that I made me forget I was physically melting. That's the power of home! My family is one of the best gifts God has given me. Indeed, there's always a reason to be grateful! And for this, I can't thank God enough!

I am also grateful that I now have access to all the ingredients for my recipes that I used to enjoy back in my home country. I've lived in a place for 5 years where the temperature can go as low as -28 degree C! Now, though still not in my own country, eating familiar food makes me feel near home and thus homesickness is no longer always a problem.

Gift #2: My loving family back in my home country.
Gift #3: Access to things that I used to enjoy back home.

Give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.
1 Thessalonians 5:18


“A happy family is but an earlier heaven.” -John Bowring

“There is great comfort and inspiration in the feeling of close human relationships and its bearing on our mutual fortunes - a powerful force, to overcome the "tough breaks" which are certain to come to most of us from time to time.” - Walt Disney

Photos By: RSM May 8, 2009

No comments: