May 10, 2009

It's a Good Day!

I almost forgot about it! I was glad I was able to catch my dear friend online and she greeted me first. My sis in the Middle East sent her greetings, too, almost at the same time. That's how I realized it's Mother's Day! So I quickly sent greetings to my mom and mother in-law. I understood why my husband and children also forgot about it. In our host country, Mother's Day is celebrated on the queen's birthday. (Yes, you're right! Father's Day is on the king's birthday.)

To celebrate the day, we went to our favorite local restaurant near our place and had a simple but full meal. "Full" means with rice. It is a small and homey place to eat and we always like their not-so-spicy local food, especially their creamy tumyamgung. On Valentines Day, our kids pulled their money and treated us for a good dinner and ice cream in this same place.

After that simple meal, Naomi and Zoe were ready for the special part -- dessert! But must pray first. Funny, I didn't notice them praying until I saw this picture. I thought that because we already prayed before the meal they wont be praying again when the dessert was served. Bless their little hearts.... I'm a proud mom.

They surely enjoyed sharing their banana split and ......

.....brain freeze!

Then the girls went shopping to buy mom plastic flowers which they arranged in a vase when we got home.
Ben, my son stayed at home to rest after running an errand in the afternoon. But he made this card for me. Sweet boy as he always been!

As Zoe said, it's a good day! I wish all mothers in the world a really good day!

Let me share an excerpt from the novel I am reading these days. It's a thick one, 474 pages with extra 18 pages about the author and the book. And I'm not half done yet so I can't make a critique of the author's moral standard. But so far, I'm enjoying it and I just came across pages that talk on motherhood. It's a gripping story that made me think again of what kind of a mother am I.

"That night at the moon viewing I realized I would always be deficient in great feeling. It was because I never had a proper mother. A mother is the one who fills your heart in the first place. She teaches you the nature of happiness: what is the right amount, what is too much, and that the kind that makes you want more of what is bad for you. A mother helps baby flex her first feeling of pleasure. She teaches her when to later exercise restraint, or to take squealing joy in recognizing the fluttering leaves of the gingko tree, to sense a quieter but more profound satisfaction in chancing upon an everlasting pine. A mother enables you to realize that there are different levels of beauty, and therein lie the sources of pleasure, some of which are popular and ordinary, and thus of brief value, and others of which are difficult and rare, and hence worth pursuing.

But through my formative years, I had only Sweet Ma (step mother). That woman with her parched innards tried to push upon me her notion of good things ---telling me to be glad I was not as bare-dressed as a tree in the winter, to be grateful that the little skeleton of a girl lying in a gutter was not me, to recognize that the shade of a willow tree in unbearable heat was a happy sacrifice I could make to those who were either older or younger than I was, which was everybody, as it always turned out. I followed Sweet Ma's instructions so that eventually I could feel not naturally, but only carefully."
Amy Tan's 'Saving Fish From Drowning', pages 31-32

After reading this part, I thanked God that I'm still alive and present to be a proper mother to my children.(And that's my gift entry # 9 for my 1000 gifts list)


Photos By: RSM May 10, 2009

No comments: