June 22, 2009

Ways To Lighten Heavy Load (Part 2)

Loving the things you need to do is not as easy as doing the things you love to do. With the latter, once decided, enjoyment is spontaneous whilst with the former, one needs to consciously make an effort to find enjoyment on the thing/s being done, . And here comes the opportunity to use creativity....

One of the things I hate doing is washing dishes. I grew up doing it and never loved it. Such a heavy load to bear when carried with a heavy heart.... Imagine how many hours were wasted standing in front of the sink! But I have to do it, as my friend once said, "Don't worry Ruth, dirty dishes don't run. You always find them in your sink!"

With a little creativity, I learned how to love the job....here's what I did:

I hung a prayer frame on the wall and put a little plant (looks best when in bloom) beside the sink. The sight of the plant helps set a happy mood and the frame helps me do other things than just washing dirty dishes.

Many years ago, a friend gave me a prayer calendar where each day contained a parent's prayer for the children with a supporting verse in it. I thought it would serve best if I framed it with my children's pictures around it and hung it some place where I could always see it...the kitchen, where else? Since then, dishwashing became a new experience for me. I never felt again that times spent in front the sink were wasted. It allowed me plenty of time to pray specific prayers for my children. This frame has travelled with our family in 3 countries already. And it's been my dishwashing partner.

Here's how it looks like up close......



Another thing I found helpful recently....

When my local friend came one day...I told her that I'm not learning any new words that week except the ones related to what I love doing...gardening. Anyways, I had been having a hard time explaining to shopkeepers whenever I wanted to find something to cure my sick plant or anything I need in my garden..... so we did our study around that topic and I had survived another session learning new words with my friend.


One thing I hated the most is ironing clothes. Again, it's the hours wasted pressing clothes that made me abhor it. Even dear husband sometimes helps, it's another thing I must do twice a week. But since I moved the ironing station beside my husband's study, running the iron back and forth against crumpled clothes was no longer a boring and lonely work. I can chat with him a bit or glance at something he's reading on the internet.

Speaking of internet.....this ironing board became my station where I manage my blog....and it became a favorite corner since then.

I'm learning these days that we don't always need to go somewhere else to find rest......when we can't, like me at this time, we have to find rest by just looking for ways to lighten our heavy loads.

And He said, "My presence shall go with you, and I will give you rest.
Exodus 33:14

Rest in the LORD and wait patiently for Him; Do not fret because of him who prospers in his way, Because of the man who carries out wicked schemes.

Psalm 37:7

Come to Me, all who are weary and heavy-laden, and I will give you rest.Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and YOU WILL FIND REST FOR YOUR SOULS. For My yoke is easy and My burden is light.

Matthew 11: 28-30

No comments: