June 19, 2009

Ways To Lighten Heavy Load (Part 1)

Recently, I have been learning two ways to lighten up my load:

1. To do only the things I love to do, and
2. To love the things I need to do.

The first one is easy for me because I have many things that I love doing.

One day, I declared to everybody in the house that I would only do the things I love to do, and surprisingly, nobody cared. It was just my silly idea that the world would fall apart if I stopped my daily routine. So what I did was picked up again the old hobby --painting.

25 years ago, I fell in love with painting when I took Fine Arts course for one year. "It's a rich man's hobby", my father said, "you can't earn money doing that unless you spend years to build a name". So he discouraged me from pursuing it as a profession. So that's the end of it. I thought...until one day, as I was teaching the basic of watercolor painting to my homeschoolers, I found my long lost love again.

This is what I did last month... 16.7 x 25 cm watercolor... first time attempt after 25 years. Not bad, eh?


Here's what I did 2 weeks ago....26 x 37.5 cm watercolor ..... still crude but enough to win dear husband's appreciation. ;)

I did this twice in two months and I found it refreshing. Just a day in a month to break from the routine.

One good thing about this exercise is having my children joining me. They too were inspired to pick up their own brushes and started playing colors with me. Together we painted, chatted, and made funny comments at one another's work.....such things I love doing!

Here are my children's proud entries:


Ben's blue butterfly 26 x 37.5 cm



Ben's Sunflowers 16.7 x 25 cm



Naomi's Brown Puppy 26 x 37.5 cm


Naomi's Sunflowers 16.7 x 25 cm


Zoe's White Rabbits 26 x 37.5 cm


Zoe's Sunflowers16 .7 x 25 cm

I don't remember what we ate for lunch or how the house was like that day when I didn't cook nor do any housekeeping, but we survived!

Hope you try spending a day just doing what you love to do and see how it lightens your load as it does with mine.


It is requisite for the relaxation of the mind that we make use, from time to time, of playful deeds and jokes. -Thomas Aquinas




1 comment:

Cenie said...

Impressive! I see the artistic skill runs in the family...from dad to mom to kids- beautiful paintings! Keep goin guys, you inspire us to do the same!
Cenie