September 9, 2009

Eggs, Stories, and Lessons

It was in December of last year when our budgees, Vanilla and Blueberry had their first batch of eggs. We were all thrilled to see another egg every after two days until it stopped to five. Five eggs means five new birds, so I thought.


Sad to say, only four were hatched. Everyday we peeped into the nest to observe how fast they developed. We learned that they don't hatched at they same time so they don't develop at the same time, too. What a natural way of learning Science for our home-school program!


After many days of great expectations, I became impatient to see them come out of the nest. I was worried, too, that the older ones might trample and kill the younger ones. So, I opened the nest, gently placed the older ones in the half of the husk, and the younger ones into the other half. I thought they're safer in that arrangement. There, I didn't have to peep through a small hole. I could see them better now.



It was a poignant lesson I learned the next morning after the cold January evening. I left the nest open and the young ones were deprived of the warmth the older ones, who by then had tiny feathers, could provide. How I dared intrude the work of nature and distrust the One who looks after these "sparrows"? Patience, patience. I should have waited and let nature's miracle worked!

So, only Bluey and Indigo made it. I can't tell how difficult it was for me to greet the children good morning with that very sad new. Big lesson to learn, indeed.


SECOND CHANCE.....

Last week while gardening, I dug the dirt and found four live eggs. I wasn't sure what they were of but was determined to be warned not to do anything against nature.... I placed them on a tissue paper in a flower pot to replace their home I accidentally messed up. I put the pot under shade to make sure they don't get soaked when it rains. Today, after 5 days of not trying to do anything, I saw another work of nature.


One by one, they hatched. Lizards! All four of them made it!


They're the beautiful kind. They change color to brown, green, red, and orange. Though tempted to cage them, I let them out to the garden where they can thrive as the way nature designs for them.

Lesson learned!


There is a way that nature speaks, that land speaks. Most of the time we are simply not patient enough, quiet enough, to pay attention to the story.

-Linda Hogan


“Are not five sparrows sold for two copper coins? And not one of them is forgotten before God. But the very hairs of your head are all numbered. Do not fear therefore; you are of more value than many sparrows.

-Luke 12:6-7


Photos by: RSM 08, 09

2 comments:

Cenie said...

Quite a lesson to learn indeed! "Patience is a virtue"..... that's quite difficult to achieve. It really does takes so much patience to learn how to wait..... Thanks for sharing Ruth.

Daily Divine said...

I appreciate all the notes you leave on my blog. Thanks Cen for taking time to read.