September 30, 2009

Sewing and Bonding


I was happy to bring this fabric home last month. It was the last stretch of the roll and so was put on sale at a very low price. It's thick and sturdy plus the floral design and color did really convince me to buy it eventhough it wasn't on my list that day. I had another plan for it in mind but it turned out to be a perfect fit for our multi-purpose table (a dining table when we have guests, a testing table during school-time, and a work table after school).







Only today, this fabric met my sewing machine. And I'm glad I finally decided to take my machine out from the dark nook under the stairs. It's almost a year since I last enjoyed it. It's an anniversary gift from dear husband 2 years ago. I've sewn many things with it, girls' dresses, curtains, pillow cases, couch covers, etc. Other priorities made me almost forget about it.







But more than my reunion with my sewing machine and the finished table cloth, I'm more than happy that I had my special bonding time with my girls this afternoon . Without invitation, they came to the table as soon as they saw me set-up my stuff. Naomi picked up her long forgotten cross-stitch work and was inspired to finish it. Zoe, too young to work with needles, was content to play with spools and measuring tape. No words spoken, just the light noise of the machine was heard. Hearts are sewn together. Memories are stitched in love.


Any day spent sewing, is a good day.
~Author Unknown


Sewing mends the soul.
~Author Unknown


Take your needle, my child, and work at your pattern; it will come out a rose by and by. Life is like that - one stitch at a time taken patiently and the pattern will come out all right like the embroidery. ~Oliver Wendell Holmes

No comments: