October 28, 2009

Care For Tea?

In my home country, only sick people drink tea. Haha! It might shock some of you but that's what I used to think...till I came and live in China! I was so shocked to know that they serve tea instead of water! Hot tea in the middle of summer, 45 degree celcius!

So, my five years in China made me become a tea drinker.

Yesterday, my Chinese friend gave me few kinds of tea and also a little lecture about it. I learned from her that there are teas good for morning to keep you awake and also teas for night time to help you sleep. There's a kind that makes you feel warm and another kind that makes you feel cold. And she gave me a tea that is actually a dried kind of fruit bigger that a pingpong ball. It's good for your cough and cold, she said.

When I put the teas she gave me to my pantry, that's when I found how much tea I have gathered. I took them all out to check the expiry date and was glad to know that nothing needed to be thrown away.

When I was in Hongkong I enjoyed the wide varieties of fruit flavored teas, and I especially like English teas, too. Also, I have a pack of mixed fruit tea that tastes and smells so good. It's a gift from a German friend. I loved it so much that I kept it dear and safe and now almost forgot about it. I only remembered it after I took this picture and dear husband asked about it.

When we moved to Malaysia, I began to love their local milk tea or "teh tarik". So good for breakfast. It's very sweet that I think the sugar content of one mug is enough supply of energy you need for the whole day. I'm so glad they have an instant kind though doesn't taste as great. I buy packs of it whenever I travel to Malaysia or when a friend comes to visit us from there, then I would always make sure to order that.

But how come I always run out of coffee and never of tea? I consume more coffee than tea. Maybe I'm not a tea drinker for real? Maybe I just love the idea of drinking tea...of tea parties...so classy. But whatever, I'll keep collecting tea and enjoy a cup whenever I or dear husband like, and so also whenever I have guests I can confidently say "care for tea?". Oh, I'm starting to miss my Brit friends....



This is my latest "collection". Isn't it unique? It's as big as a regular plate, made of dried tea leaves from Yunan province, China. You just need a pinch of it for a whole pot of tea. I can imagine having this for the next 2 years :-)


This is how it looks! I'll promise to write a part 2 of this post to tell you how it tastes! Enjoy your cup. Cheers!


If you are cold, tea will warm you. If you are too heated, it will cool you. If you are depressed, it will cheer you. If you are excited, it will calm you.
~Gladstone, 1865


You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me.
~C.S. Lewis



3 comments:

~ Judy ~ said...

WOW! That is AMAZING! Now if only I were in your neighborhood so that you could pull up a chair at my table and we could "TEA" together!

LLJ said...

Oh, I love Judy's idea! That would be fun! I love tea - I drink it all day long. Just tea bags for me though; I think your tea is much more interesting. & I absolutely love your quotes too!
Leanne

Cenie said...

Oh I've never seen so much tea in someone's pantry! You're so blessed indeed Ruth!... wish we were neighbors and you could share with me....(smile) Those tea looks so interesting! I'd love to know how they taste. I love tea, I drink it morning, noon and night coz I don't drink coffee. I add slices of qinger roots and boil them together. (Got that idea from Toto).Try it sometime. Thanks for sharing this interesting ideas about tea. I like your quotes!