October 27, 2009

Champorado or Chocolate Rice Porridge


(As requested by my new friend, Judy)


Champorado is one of the most popular Filipino breakfast! It's a warm meal perfect for cold or rainy days. It’s one of my childhood favorites. My kids love it the same. Very easy to prepare, very yummy and very economical.

The original recipe is made with soft-boiled rice with Tableas de Cacao which are bitter-sweet chocolate tablets made of freshly roasted cacao beans. But there are many other ways to cook it. You can google “Champorado” if you like. Once you know the basic, you can make your own recipe, too. I do it depending on what is available in my pantry.


Here’s my homemade recipe:
Ingredients: (for five small servings)
1 cup white rice ( more yummy if using glutinous/sticky rice)
1/2 cup (more or less) unsweetened cocoa powder (or grated baking chocolate bar)
2 1/2 cups water
1/2 cup brown sugar
Few drops of vanilla (optional)
Milk (evaporated milk or fresh milk)*
*If I’m using condensed sweetened milk, I cut half the amount of sugar.

Directions:
1. Cook rice in a saucepan with water. Stir constantly.
2. When rice is ready (rice should be somewhat transparent), add cocoa, sugar and vanilla extract. Some like it soupy, so just add more water if you like.
3. Serve warm (or cold) in bowls with swirls of milk on top. Kids love to do the swirling themselves.


Champorado is usually served with a side dish of fried or smoked seasoned meats. I prefer to eat it with dried salted fish or hardboiled egg. My kids love it even without side dishes.

Enjoy your Champorado!

P.S. If you have left-over rice from the evening meal, keep that for your Champorado in the morning. Just boil that by adding more water and the rest of the ingredients.




I got this picture from the internet. I found many brands of instant (no cook!) champorado mixes available in many Asian stores out there. But still, I like it homemade!

3 comments:

Till the Whole World Knows said...

I like this post. The swirl is definitely the best part.

~ Judy ~ said...

OH THANK YOU RUTH! May I have your permission to post this on my For Your Tastebuds page at my Daily Blessings website? I share favorite recipes there with my readers...I just KNOW they will love this...and I will provide them a link back to your delightful blog as well!
Incidentally, there's something for you on benmakesten today! I forgot to save your url last time and so I had to go back and edit my post today after visiting here this morning! Thanks for being LOVELY!

ruth said...

Go ahead, Judy. My pleasure!