October 12, 2009

On Faithfulness

"If I were not married with my wife right now, I would not marry at all." The whole class applauded dear husband's constructed sentence. He was in his foreign language class with other students of different nationalities. He got the same response last week when he was asked to use "whole life" in a sentence. "I love my wife with my whole life." Everybody knew they were just for the sake of practice but still hearts were tickled to hear them, much more mine when he told me what happened in class.

Words that speak of faithfulness. We all love to hear them, right? One may always hear them privately spoken...in whispers and in writing. But aren't they sweeter when spoken in public? I knew dear husband chose those words because he knew what hearts need to hear. In the fast growing metropolis we are in where divorce and quick-fix are also in, it's good to be reminded that faithfulness is not just a way in the past.




Sometime ago in June 26, 2002, dear husband handed me this little piece of blue paper. There's no occasion, just a so-so day. I can only recall the date because it was written on it above his signature. It was the time when the kids were small and both of us were in graduate school. Life was hard. Oh, how much I needed those words.

I kept it in my wallet since then. In seven years it has found different home each time I change wallet. Sometimes I forgot all about it and again it would come up as a pleasant surprise whenever I incidentally find it among bills, receipts and cards. It always makes my heart light. At few times I had the chance to show it to friends and relatives, they have the same reaction; "That is sweet. Wish I have it too." I told a friend once, "Do it for your husband so he will learn to do the same, too."

Insignificant little piece of paper bearing such powerful words.

Today, I decided to add more years to its life by pasting it on a card and laminate it. I want the way it affects my heart. I want my children to see it later in life, and learn from it.




Let love and faithfulness never leave you; bind them around your neck, write them on the tablet of your heart. Then you will win favor and good name in the sight of God and man.

Proverbs 3:3-4

No comments: