October 12, 2009

Show and Tell: Creative Journal

I'm a bit spotty in my journal. I just cant do it regularly. It's a discipline that came late in my life. But few weeks ago, an inspiration arose from the heart. I would encourage my children to start doing it early in their life and we'll journal together so I'm forced to make it a habit myself.

Then, a creative idea came to mind....

I gave each one a handmade notebook which they are going to fill with cut- out words and pictures from old newspapers and magazines. First, I made my own as a sample. I also printed some guide questions for them to fill in.




Soon, everybody was silent and busy. Even my 7- year old girl was able to pick up the whole process of journaling in just a short introduction. She struggled to find words at first but was happy to know that a picture is worth a thousand words.




Oh, how their work reflect their different personalities. Never did they fight over pictures and words to cut. Everyone knew what she or he wanted. They even trade words that best described the other. 10 year old Naomi made her own book by binding hard papers together. She wanted a blue one.





Since then, it has become almost a daily habit after school. All of us would sit around our working table looking for words and pictures to cut and paste. Suddenly, the morning papers have become more valuable, even adverts and brochures in our mailbox are now some things to look forward for. Another good thing about doing this is that the children don't realized it that they are still in the "classroom" learning new words. It's such a fun way of recycling, too.



Today, Ben has drawn a beautiful picture about the passage in our morning devotion.


I guess our latest enthusiasm had rubbed into my niece. She too became motivated in finishing her book so she could start a new one. The more we do it, the more creative ideas come to mind.




They're all thrilled to hear that what they are doing is like filling a treasure chest for their children's children to dig sometime in the future. I wished that in the time past someone filled a chest for me.....well, gotta go and continue filling one for my future descendants, lol.


To think creatively, we must be able to look afresh at what we normally take for granted. George Kneller

My aim is to put down on paper what I see and what I feel in the best and simplest way.

Ernest Hemingway


No comments: