December 1, 2009

My Mary Is Missing!

That doesn't sound like a good news for the first day of Christmas month, right?

This is one of my few nativity scene collection. I bought this set from a Russian market when I lived in Central Asia. It is neat to see another culture's interpretation of this most special historic event. But over years of traveling with our family, Mary got lost!

It's just sad to see only men gathering around the new born baby. Aw! The picture is painfully incomplete! Was she kidnapped, or someone in the group doesn't like women in the picture?


Joesph's lost his thumb, too! Did it happen when she tried to protect Mary from her abductors, or it happened when he was defending Mary's equal rights with men?


That must be a big trouble because the shepherd lost his thumb, too. Was this the criminal's signature, cutting thumbs of those who opposed?


This is cruelty! Even this harmless and helpless creature suffered!

Will my Christmas be merry this year?


I'm sorry to ruin your excitement for the coming Christmas season. I have no intention of disrespecting the blessed family picture by making a fictional story out of it. It's just my sad reflection of the reality happening in our recent days. I can't hide the angst and my disgust of the fast growing godlessness in our society. My heart grieves against the gruesome mass murder/massacre that had just happened in Southern Philippines.

But as we anticipate the coming holiday season, let us not give up in hoping and praying that light will overcome darkness and love will overcome hate.


May the example of these wise men be our inspiration these days. Despite their high position in life, they left behind their comfort zones, "walked" many miles, and who knows what dangers they faced following the bright star that led them to the One who was born to save this lost world. They're wise so they knew the sacrifice and the risks ahead but still they went their way to offer gifts to the One who was worthy.

May our gift giving be done in the same spirit, selfless and sacrificial, as our way of worship to the real reason for the season.

Visit this link and you'll find a beautiful reflection and wise suggestions for your gift giving this season.


8 comments:

Andrea said...

This is a good example of what is happening around us. We must keep on keeping on and keep Christ in Christmas in our homes.
Blessings and prayers, andrea

Renee' said...

Love the Nativity set :) Hope you find mary soon :(.
We have 3 Nativities, we had 4, cant find the very firt one Jeff and I got when we first got married, had it last year, hope I just over looked it.
Andreas right We all must keep Christ in Christmas.When some say Happy Holidays, I proudly say Merry CHRISTmas.

Mrs. Santos said...

Dear Ruth:
Thank you for visiting our blog, it is so nice to meet you. Are you Filipino? My mother is Mexican/Filipino - which makes me 1/4...she was born in Hawaii, but my grandfather was born in the Philippines. Your girls ar beautiful.

We have several different Nativities at our shop this year. I hope you find a 'Mary' stand in. ;)

About the craziness in the world:

For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first: Then we which are alive [and] remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord.

Wherefore COMFORT ONE ANOTHER with these words. 1 Thess 4:16-18

LLJ said...

this world can be very disturbing and frightening sometimes! It was the same back when those same wise man were coming to worship our Lord. I can't even begin to imagine the heartbreak and fear that young families experienced and Mary and Joseph having to flee in the middle of the night to a foreign land. I am so thankful that we have the light of the Lord shining in this often dark place. Oh, that this same babe rescued me out of that pit!
I am thankful to read so many blogs lately that are helping me to remember the real reason we celebrate this special time.
Blessings to you Ruth,
Leanne

~ Judy ~ said...

OH your poor Nativity set! I saw a young man's blog recently who does restoration on statues and does it so well! Wish he lived in Asia near you!!! Thank you for linking to benmakesten in this post.
And as for the mention of the horrible crimes in the Philippines...may God have MERCY on all.

Rosa &Frank said...

Just yesterday our naughty puppy, Sam, "took out" Joseph and the yak from our Nepali nativity scene. The smell of the yaks's wool that the set is made of must be very appealing to a little daschund. We have managed to protect Mary and the Baby Jesus and an angel from his jaws and will try to repair Joseph and his yak... Over the years we have enjoyed collecting nativity sets from different cultures too, with the one from Nigeria, bought in a yard sale for $2, being the most unique next to the Nepali one. Each of the Nigerian wisemen has lost a hand though, as if they gave their hands along with their gifts, completely surrendering to the true King, and I am still looking for the right kind of glue to repair them...

ruth said...

Ate Rosa and Kuya Frank: I saw your collection of nativity and I loved them that's why i was inspired to collect from different countries. I just started collecting and have 3 still.

Carrie said...

Delightful, inspiring post.
I enjoyed seeing your nativities. I have a blog dedicated to my own nativity collection, Carola Nativity Gallery. Your visit is welcome any time:

http://carolanativitygallery.blogspot.com

Carrie