January 27, 2010

Thank God For His Word


Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light for my path.
Psalm 119:105


Years ago, one of my students came to my house to learn English with me. When she was by the door, she heard my daughter crying in the room. "I spanked her" I answered when she asked why. "She did something wrong and I had to discipline her." She shook her head in unbelief. Maybe she thought I was too good-hearted and gentle to be violent to my children. "You cannot do that. God doesn't want you to beat your children."

I led my student to our learning room and showed her verses from the book of Proverbs that talk about disciplining your children and not sparing the rod from them. "Oh, I didn't know that. Our Bible has no Proverbs yet." My heart sank hearing this.

~o~

I thank God that He gives us His Word to know Him, His will and His ways.

I thank God for His Word that is translated in my own heart language. His Word is always available whenever I need guidance and wisdom for my everyday life. It points to me the direction to eternal life. It gives me endless encouragement.

I thank God for my literacy. I can read and comprehend His word.

I thank God for the men and women who translated His Word in different languages including mine.


~o~

My friend, Judy is hosting this meme every Wednesday to encourage all of us to nurture a joyful heart by counting our blessings regularly. Click here: ~A Thankful Woman's Book of Blessings~ to visit her and meet other ladies who are celebrating thanksgiving today.


4 comments:

Andrea said...

Hope you have an awesome day.
Blessings, hugs, and prayers,
andrea

~ Judy ~ said...

THANKING GOD FOR MY LITERACY!!!! WOW!!! What a GREAT idea!!!!!!
Thanks for lifting us up with you in THANKSGIVING today Ruth! I am so glad that the people have YOU to share God's LOVE and TRUTH with them!!!

Mrs. Santos said...

Hello Ruth: Her Bible didn't have Proverbs! How much we take for granted. The Bible says, how can they know if they haven't heard, how can they hear if no one tells them,

Yes, I am thankful for God's Word too-a lamp unto my feet.

Here is a link to a project that we support in hopes to get the gospel out in as many languages as possible. Perhaps this may interest you. The children and I have read this book and it really gave me a full understanding of the scriptures from beginning to end.

http://www.nogreaterjoy.org/good-and-evil/

Goose Hill Farm said...

Thanking God for so many things today!

Blessings, Ruth~
Laura