February 12, 2010

Friday Flashback: Travel Light

The past week when I wasn't blogging I did a lot of housekeeping. I sorted all clutters hidden under the stairs. I noticed how many suitcases we accumulated over years of traveling. I sorted them all, checking each of its content, labeling for convenience, but my mind went wild back to the days when we made our first step of faith out of our own home country.


I remembered how shocked I was when dear husband gave me only one suitcase to pack all my belongings when we decided to live overseas in 1998. And I was even more shocked when I heard I was to share that with my 5 year old son. His would be full of books and all our important document.


What about the wedding gifts? My scented candle collection? My baking paraphernalia? My.... My world suddenly was compacted to a suitcase. So, we left our country with our very few belongings. Dear husband was right. We boarded on 4 flights before reaching our destination and it would have been more exhausting had we not agreed to bring not more than that.

The family grew over the years moving from one country to another. The number of suitcase also multiplied but not quite much for five people. I know, anytime we need to move to whatever country (who knows?) we'll have to squeeze everything into them again.


For now, we are happy settling down in our host country. There is always the desire to accumulate more things, beautiful things that this world can offer. But I must have to remind myself that even if I' were not to move again I'm only a pilgrim here on earth and I'm not to store up treasures for myself here.



This is all what I had in mind, never noticing that I finished the work in shorter time than expected. I gathered 2 sacks of stuff to be given away. I felt light. My heart was again emptied with cares of this world. But I know it will be easy to throw things again behind that curtain... so this "work" must be done regularly.


.....for we are all pilgrims of this world......


"Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal: But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal: For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also."
Matthew 6:19-21



For homeschooling families: Maybe you would want to check our brand new meme for homeschoolers here.


9 comments:

It'sSteph said...

Ruth, I would love to know more about your home country, your travels, and your reasons for moving! It sounds like a life of adventure!

Marie said...

Great post Ruth. I moved over here to the UK 10 years ago, with nothing but a suitcase. We lived in a tiny one bedroom flat for several years and now live in a full sized cottage. Along the way we have accumulted things etc. and I now fear if we ever have to go back into a 1 bedroom flat. It will be very difficult. Perhaps we need to rethink what we have and what we need. xxoo

LLJ said...

Ruth,
This really touched my heart. Thank you for your love and obedience in serving our Lord where he calls you. Thanks for your witness to others and to me : )
Leanne

Andrea said...

Great post....I need to get rid of some more baggage.
Blessings, andrea

Katia said...

Wonderful Ruth! I have moved so much, and it's so easy to accumulate, we are so spoiled.
I am glad you had some time off to just clean, it's wonderful and freeing :)
(((hugs))))
Katia

Patty said...

I like that thought ~ travel light. I think sometimes we fill up our life with so much stuff that we fail to see all the natural beauty that God has supplied for our journey along the way.

I know I could lighten my load a bit also.

Mrs. Santos said...

This is so good, and I love the way you wrote it. We recently downsized, from a giant victorian home to a tiny duplex apartment...We gave almost everything away...but it has really been wonderful. "Set your affections on things above and not on things of the eart" Col 3

Joyce Marie said...

Hi Ruth,

Lets see...while growing up everyone called me Joycie...my husband still does:) I think he is the only one now. Most people call me Joyce. I started using Joyce Marie when I started blogging publicly. I love how you put the two meanings of my name together...with all we have gone through in our marriage...joy in the sea of sorrow truly fits.

Blessings to you Ruth!
Joyce Marie

Charli and me said...

Great post Ruth, It's true we all collect a lot of things and in the end none of it doesn't matter. I hope you are having a good week.