October 23, 2010

Sowing Seeds

Let me wrap my week up with a label "Sowing Seeds". That's basically what I was doing the whole week! Sowing seeds unsparingly in my garden and in the hearts of my homeschoolers and students.

I love sowing seeds because of the feeling of anticipation that goes with it. I enjoy watching the process of growth. As I do, I also cultivate my heart to be hopeful and patient. Well, the whole process of gardening makes my heart glad.

I don't know what is it in gardening that makes my heart fall in love with it. Perhaps because it runs in the blood. My great, great, great grandparents were created in the garden because their Maker knew so well that it would be the place where they are most satisfied and would be drawn closest to Himself.


If you look closely to the picture on the right, you'll notice that I was showing my students the different parts of a plant.  So even in my classroom, as I sow seeds of knowledge, the gardener in me is still at work!

I wonder what kind of men these boys in my class would become? So while I can, I sow seeds of knowledge and keep that hope in my heart that these knowledge will grow into wisdom once applied in their lives.


In my previous post, I shared about my visit to my friend's farm. They have mulberry trees bearing fruit which is delightful to butterflies and birds. So I brought home a few cuttings (twigs about 5 inches long) and planted them on a pot.




Here it is after 2 months of waiting! Yesterday, I transplanted 2 surviving cuttings into one big pot and put it on the side of our terrace.  I can already see a fruitful bush regularly visited by butterflies and birds.





Speaking of birds, I want to show you the new residents in my garden: Lemon and Lime, the seed-eaters. They're caged :( but they are placed under a pomegranate tree so at least it feels like a natural habitat for them. 

( This is my entry for Camera Critters and Mellow Yellow. )
Another residents are the living creatures in the nest on the sweet sop tree by the garden. You can imagine how thrilled we were when we first heard them chirped one early morning. Their parents would fly down and get food from my garden. I don't mind them eating the seeds I've sown. They're just seeds I can readily replace.What I'm more mindful of are the seeds sown in my children's heart.

I guess, aside from being a gardener and a teacher, I'm more of a mother farming in the hearts of my children.


Before the seed there comes the thought of bloom.
-   E. B. White



6 comments:

Katie said...

You've definitely been blessed with a green thumb! I have the toughest time growing anything from seed!

Katia said...

How sweet, Ruth. I love the little birds and their names. I love that last shot, for I love that the fruit. I don't know the name in English for they don't have here it, but actually it's one of my favorites.
(((hugs))

Chubskulit Rose said...

Love the atis!

Hungry Birds

Kay L. Davies said...

I love that first photo of the seedlings breaking out of the seeds. Just wonderful.
But of course my favorite is the picture of Lemon and Lime. They are beautiful and I'm thrilled that they live outside under a pomegranate tree.

Kay, Alberta

☆♥Shydub♥☆ said...

Thats pretty you still able to spot the butterfly and the lovebird are very lovely

http://www.sheaky.com/2010/10/camera-critters-our-visitor.html

Christine said...

Ruth, thank you for posting! I, too, love seeing sprouts push their way up through the dirt. As if I had anything to do with it! But it is a miracle to me.

Blessings on your weekend!

Christine

Daddy's Girl...Like Mother Like Daughter

" I read your blog in my office ."  Those words came as a beautiful tune and set my heart to dancing. My Pa reads my blog. Ha...