January 31, 2011

My Name Is Om....

Obviously, she's the youngest in my class but she wouldn't tell me her age. It could be that her parents told her to deny her age or she would not be admitted in my class. I accept only 6 years old and above. I couldn't accommodate all of them.  Om could not wait for next year when we have more volunteer teachers.

She faithfully came to our center, not saying a word. She would wait in the library, reading quietly. I only knew her name from other children in class.

She couldn't catch up in class but she didn't mind. She would scribble and color. She would not call for help. My daughter Naomi was kind to her. She would come by Om's side to help her even without me telling her.

Om continues to come to my class with cooling powder on her face. She still doesn't want to tell me her age but she now recites and sings, and is no longer shy.  If you visit my class, you'll see her come to you and say, "My name is Om" with a smile.

Dare to reach out your hand into the darkness,
to pull another hand into the light. 
~Norman B. Rice


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ruth,

I'm glad that you have allowed Om into your class even though she may not "be of age" yet. I'm sure that by having her in your class, she has been an unexpected blessing for you. It also sounds like she is progressing well in your class.

I enjoyed seeing the picture of your daughter, Naomi helping her. That was a very precious picture. :)

Blessings,

-Lady Rose

Snuffygirl5 said...

I loved this post Ruth! What a sweet little girl and so glad you and your family are there to minister to her. This was a breath of encouragement and joy in a mixed up day for me! Thanks! -Stephanie

LLJ said...

oh what a sweety!
It must be very challenging yet rewarding work you do investing in children's lives!
Thank you from the other side of the world.
Leanne

Sridharan said...

Beautiful little girl and I loved these pictures. You've got a nice blog that I am following now..!

Míriam Luiza said...

Oi Ruth!

Obrigada pela sua visita e seus importantes elogios ao meu blog e minhas fotos! Seu blog é muito bom, e amo passar por aqui! Você faz um trabalho muito bonito aí! Sorte dessas crianças!
Abraços!

Daddy's Girl...Like Mother Like Daughter

" I read your blog in my office ."  Those words came as a beautiful tune and set my heart to dancing. My Pa reads my blog. Ha...